Announcements

Week 2 -

Week 2 -

by Ethan Huff -
Number of replies: 0

Hello, today is the beginning of Week 2, school is in session.  It is also a federally recognized holiday celebrating the birth of Martin Luther King, Jr..  King was born in 1929 and was a prominent civil rights activist during the 1950s and 60s, leading the call for millions of Americans and people all over the world, to push for racial and social justice.  He was assassinated in 1968. 

In your social studies classes, I have heard from so many of you that social and racial justice is at the forefront of issues you see as important for our country to work on as we continue to evolve.  I admire the passion I have seen on behalf of OLA and DELTA students in this regard.  I agree that this is a much needed area in which our country and society can improve.  At the same time, I am grateful for the progress that has been made in the last 230 or so years since this country formed, and I am optimistic that we will continue to see racism decrease and social justice increase during our lifetimes.  We can all help make this happen. 

Please set aside some time this week to engage in some type of service activity.  This can be as small as helping someone in your neighborhood or around your house, knowing that the help you provide will bring light and love into that person's life, or it can be as big as going out to join a large-group service volunteer opportunity in your community.  As Martin Luther King showed us repeatedly, individual actions can help make this world a better place, whether viewed as a single action or as part of a larger, collective system of positive actions taken by humans to help our fellow humans.  With this in mind, Happy Birthday MLK!